This upcoming season looks like it’ll have a LOT of sequels, some of which are highly anticipated (*cough* moar Biribiri *cough*). Anyway, here’s my thoughts/breakdown, a bit longer this time than in the past:
- Date A Live: First thought it was just going to be another harem anime, then I heard there was some scifi element to it. Then I watched the PV. Nope, just another harem anime. Passing.
- Gundam SEED Destiny HD Remaster: The milking just won’t stop, will it Bandai?
- Karneval: Getting an Ouran Highschool Host Club vibe from this, but who knows. Probably won’t bother watching either.
- Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru: I swear, ever since Ore no Imouto, anime series titles have just been getting longer and longer… The promo pic reminds me of Madoka, and the premise sounds interesting, but I’m going to put it aside as probably something like Boku wa Tomodachi
- Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live: I think we’ve degraded into the generation of every season having at least one idol anime (AKB0048, Love Live, Pretty Rhythm, etc.). Pray to Madoka to save us ;<
- Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199: Remake of remakes of the Space Battleship Yamato? Yes. I’ve never watched the original but, like Mobile Suit Gundam, Macross, Evangelion and the like, Space Battleship Yamato is one of those classical series that all shonen anime fans must watch.
- Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince: Its classical space-mecha, so going to get suckered into watching it no matter how bad it’ll be *cough Muv-Luv Alternative*
- Yuyushiki: Hey, at least it’s not more Hidamari Sketch or Minamike. Maybe if I find the time for it.
- Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.: There’s a period at the end. Yup, its a sequel, and probably gonna be even more ridiculous. To be honest, I’m more interested in seeing the effects it’ll have on otaku culture and Japanese society as a whole rather than the actual anime itself (the original Ore no Imouto did quite a lot to ruffle up and bring out the extremities of anime culture back then)
- Kakumeiki Valvrave: Yet another space mecha. I’m sensing another Eureka Seven type, but who knows.
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W: Nyaruko-san, S2! Expecting great things here ;3
- Hayate no Gotoku! Can’t Take My Eyes Off You: S2 of the remake. I never saw the original, only the remake (Can’t Take My Eyes Off You) and frankly wasn’t impressed. We’ll see if they do better this time around.
- Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.: Character designs by my favourite artist, Kantoku (Afterschool of the 5th Year). I don’t care what the source material is, I just want to see Kantoku’s works being animated.
- To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S: Yes. More Academy City. More Biribiri. More awesome. Series like Railgun still give me hope for the dying anime industry.
- Sparrow’s Hotel: Wait, what?
- Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge: Premise sounds interesting. Promo art reminds me of Sankarea but at the same time I’m reminded of Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. Hopefully it’ll be a hidden gem like Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora was.
- Kara The Animation: They took a Kpop group (Kara) and are trying to make an anime series out of this. Seriously, didn’t AKB0048 teach you anything???
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku Outbreak: To-watch. More Higurashi’s always good, fufufuuu ;3
- Iron Man: Rise of Technovore (OVA): This intrigues me greatly. Like when I heard of the Halo Wars anime or Spiderman Japanese live-action adaption (with mecha).
- Mobile Suit Gundam UC EP6 (Movie): It’s coming, in all its HD glory! \o/
- Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Deja Vu (Movie): Steins;Gate movie? Of course!
- Kotonoha no Niwa (Movie): A new Makoto Shinkai movie, must watch…
On a side note, still waiting to get mindfkd by Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo…
Just found this amazingly useful website to check the TV airing schedule: http://animecalendar.net/
Anyway, here’s some opinions on what I’ve seen so far:
- Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge: THEY CUT HER HAIRRRRR! THEY FKEN CUT HER BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!!! (90% of why I wanted to watch the series, QQ). That aside, the plot doesn’t seem bad, kinda mystery thriller. I’ll follow for a second episode and see.
- Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince: Absolute trash plot and mechas (for some reason, I kept thinking of Super Sentai/Power Rangers the entire later mecha sequence). The artwork looks like it’s being done by the same artists who did Gundam SEED, but at a significantly worser quality and 100% more derpface (I’m guessing most of the staff is working on the Gundam SEED Destiny remaster?). 90% chance that I’ll be dropping this.
- Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W: The script-writers deliver. All dem references. I went crazy inside from the back-to-back Lucky Star throws. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Sasami-san reference thrown in in the preview. Probably the first Nyaruko-san episode where I actually got more than half the references ; 3 Definitely a keeper.
- Karneval: I was expecting a light-hearted shojo series, and it kinda turned out that way. Art style and character designs are definitely geared toward the shojo audience, but the fast pace and action slightly interested me. I’ll give it a second episode, but it’ll probably end up short of the watch list.
- Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.: Just like S1
- Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.: This actually looks like an interesting one. Similar premise to Boku wa, but without the obvious Meat fanservice and following (hopefully). Will keep following.
- Hataraku Maou-sama!: Tried this out upon Berard’s recommendation. Was pleasantly surprised, no regrets.
- Suisei no Gargantia: Real mecha, real sci-fi, none of that silly fluff. Amazingly high quality visuals. Keeper.
Here’s Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W’s OP (those with a NicoNicoDouga account can also find the version with animation here):
Also, for nostalgia:
Gargantia was pretty cool too:
Shinseki no Kyojin and Gargantia have me pissing myself waiting for the next episode. Combined with Nyaruko W and Railgun S, this is definitely the best anime season in a long time.
5,853 total views, 3 views today