Linux On iPod Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 [April Fools!] Installer 3.0-beta View next topic
View previous topic
Keripo
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This was an April Fools joke for April 1, 2008! Thanks for playing along!
(For the curious, no Apple did not send any unexpected donations and no 2G/3G nanos and 6G classics have not and will not be hacked for a long time due to reasons outlined here, here and here.)

===========================================
===========================================

After an unexpected, generous donation from Apple, a few of the core devs obtained a small stash of 2G nanos and 6Gs. Using some of the tools given to them by Apple and with the help of vpgtd, they were able to partially decrypt the iPods and get a semi-working iPodLinux kernel to boot. So far 2G nanos have both Loader2 and almost complete kernel support (piezo doesn't work and clickwheel is a bit buggy) while 6G classics have some screen issues and freezes alot in podzilla2. They expect to have the 6G classic issues resolved in a few days though they don't plan on adding the piezo to the 2G nanos. 3G nanos only have Loader2 working at the moment (apparently since 2G nanos look better than the 3G ones so it was assumed that more people will have 2G nanos) but its only a matter of time.

For those who want to test the progress, I've uploaded Windows and Linux (x86 only for now) beta builds of Installer 3.0 to the wiki. They will run the same as normal but already have built-in 2G nano and 6G classic support. 5.5G support, which has always been present in the private SVNs but never added to the public SVN, has finally been added.

As a bonus, I've set up a separate module repository (which Installer 3.0-beta automatically connects to) that allows Installer 3.0-beta to install unofficial applications. The repository includes everything that has been previously released with ZeroSlackr (almost everything in the Stable Snapshot and all the emulators in the Testing release) plus a few others that I haven't before included in ZeroSlackr. As well, Installer 3.0 now has an extra option allowing for a partitionless install similar to ZeroSlackr/iPodLinux Manager. As a result, ZeroSlackr has become obsolete and will be discontinued (I will continue working on Installer 3)

Keep in mind that this is still just an experimental beta release AND MAY HAVE BUGS! It has been tested on and had success with a few iPods but there is no guarantee it'll work with your iPod. If you decide to use the program, YOU ARE ACCEPTING ALL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR ACTIONS!
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Other than that, hope you enjoy the release. The source code will be released shortly and the official SVN updated. If you have any questions or issues installing this, post in this thread!

Download:
April Fools!Wink

~Keripo

Me = Keripo, Keripo Test Account = Me
010/001/111

Last edited by Keripo on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
hipnotoad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally!!! it works great!
jgjake2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OMFG! GREAT WORK! I LOVE YOU!
hahaha...nice one
happy april 1st

^^^^^^^^

i put it in the microwave and it... pops...
Flarkis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

IT WORKS HOWS IS THIS POSSIBLE!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!YAY
olao99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

what are the risks, and ipl can be in the iPod Classic
Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

olao99 wrote:
what are the risks, and ipl can be in the iPod Classic

As I mentioned, this is still experimental software. It has worked on a few of the dev's iPods so far; Apple had sent the devs 11 iPods in total (That's ridiculous. It's not even funny.) of which 3 were 6G iPod classics (two 80GBs and one 160GB I believe). As well, others have met success as you see above, but there is no guarantee that it will work on your iPod. It is always possible to fully recover your iPod through Disk Mode + iTunes (and theoretically never any possible, permanent damage). In the worst case senario, you may need to reformat your iPod (and have to put back on your music collection later) but we provide no warranty and cannot rule out anything. As always, USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
l BlaqkLabeL l

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Will these be iPW compatible?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now that you've got banned, I regret that your April Fool was not good so much...
zowki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Happy april fools day! I remember I had something like this last year. Man, you managed to convince me for a minute, I was crying with joy until I saw the date...

Edit: It's April 2nd now. Mods, please edit the thread to notify people of this joke. Keripo, you were a good developer and I loved your releases such as zeroslackr and XMP its a shame you have to be banned like this.

Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

xs wrote:
Now that you've got banned, I regret that your April Fool was not good so much...

I'm banned? Really, really!
Yay, being banned sure is fun Wink

(And yes, for those who didn't realize, this was an April Fools joke! Thanks for playing along!)

~Keripo

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
zowki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Keripo Test Account wrote:
xs wrote:

I'm banned? Really, really!
Yay, being banned sure is fun Wink

(And yes, for those who didn't realize, this was an April Fools joke! Thanks for playing along!)

~Keripo

OMG, are you hacking or something? It says ur banned! APRIL FOOLS IS OVER YOU GUYS STOP FREAKING ME OUT.

Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

zowki wrote:
OMG, are you hacking or something? It says ur banned!

In the absence of Luke and veteran, DerPapst has taken on the role of Project Leader and in his drunken rage of fury, banned all the developers and myself. But fear not - we shall revolt against his oppressive tyranny and bring freedom to these forums!!!

Just joking! DerPapst just gave us all custom names. Expect things to change back to normal sometime soon.

Edit: Things are back to normal now. Thanks for playing along!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic