Linux On iPod Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 [Old] ZeroSlackr Framework - Testing Release View next topic
View previous topic
pascal addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can someone show me his loader.cfg file with ZeroSlackr installed?
AmbiquitY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It automaticly sets up a loader so you dont need a loader.cfg unless u want anything else besides apple, linux, rockbox, sleep and disk mode?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know that, but i have Loader 2.5 already installed. Could someone post loader.cfg then?
AmbiquitY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can very easily make it yourself, this way you learn something Razz
http://ipodlinux.org/Loader_2#More_complex_usage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know that, no need to tell me to search the wiki. I just don't understand how to launch ZeroSlackr from loader.cfg. What is the line? I have linux already installed, i just want to try it out.
AmbiquitY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

(Edit) The same as with any other Partitionless installation

Code:
ZeroSlackr @ (hd0,1)/linux.bin

Last edited by AmbiquitY on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Der Papst
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you have a "normal" linux installation with a real ext partition and a linux.bin you can install the partitionless installation too. Simply rename one of the kernels to something descriptive, e.g. linux_pl.bin for the "partitionless" method.

AmbiquitY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Or just
Code:
Ipodlinux @ (hd0,2)/linux.bin
ZeroSlackr @ (hd0,1)/linux.bin

Its still pretty clear cause if you can see the linux.bin in your root then you know its the partitionless one
And i edited my last post because i wasnt completely right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks! I got it now. I didn't notice that linux.bin was in my root. I already had my iboykernel.bin and kernel.bin there + many other files.
Thanks again for your help.
And ZeroSlackr seems to be a relly good thing.
Nathan P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just installed with this installer and have iPL and Rockbox running good on my Mini. It was almost too easy lol. Just wondering, I get an error on startup saying something abotu MPD not connecting or something and I can't browse my music. Now, I will probably end up using Rockbox or the stock iPod firmware for most everything but it bugs me that it doesn't work. Any ideas? Do I need to modify a file or something to get it to recognize? This is an iPod mini 2nd gen 6gb.

Thanks,
Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You need to install this in order to get MPD to work, but if you sync your music with iTunes it doesnt work yet, you have to put all your music in a folder but then you can't use it with the apple os or you have to put all your music on it twice. And when you install this one, you have to delete the packs folder (read the small tekst!) So you dont have all the extras you had with the one you have now. I don't think there are any advantages to the MPD test release except for MPD working offcourse. But that's my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you can also just make the iPod_Control folder non-hidden, instead of making copies of all your music

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
AmbiquitY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

mhh haven't tried that, but i won't because i dont like the fact that you have to delete the packs

Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AmbiquitY wrote:
You need to install this in order to get MPD to work, but if you sync your music with iTunes it doesnt work yet, you have to put all your music in a folder but then you can't use it with the apple os or you have to put all your music on it twice. And when you install this one, you have to delete the packs folder (read the small tekst!) So you dont have all the extras you had with the one you have now. I don't think there are any advantages to the MPD test release except for MPD working offcourse. But that's my opinion.

The MPD in this Testing release is exactly the same as the one in the +MPD release. Same setup, same successes, same bugs, etc. The only difference is that I forgot to create an empty "Music" folder so MPD freezes on startup. If you read the release notes just like I indicated in my post, however, you wouldn't have any problems at all.

Also, the "delete the packs" things was only because of compatibility issues (with the original Sneak Peak release) which I didn't want interfering with the testing of MPD. This compatibility issue shouldn't affect the Testing release, so I don't think there'll be any reason for deletion of packs.

I even added a little note on the top of my thread:
Keripo at +MPD thread wrote:
Note: I do not recommend you install the ZeroSlackr framework through here; use the testing release (above) instead. MPD in both cases should be just about the same, but the above release includes packs as well.

zacaj wrote:
I think you can also just make the iPod_Control folder non-hidden, instead of making copies of all your music

Release Notes, Note for MPD section wrote:
- If you instead want to load music from your iTunes
library, open the "ZeroSlackr/MPD/Conf/mpd.conf" file
with a text editor and change "/mnt/Music" to
"/mnt/iPod_Control". - If you have a large music database,
MPD will seem to "freeze" ZeroLauncher during initiation;
note that MPD is just building its database in the
background and ZeroLauncher is actually not frozen

Also, "hidden" is a Windows property only; Linux will read folders even if they are marked "hidden" by Windows (the only "hidden" I know of for Linux is if a folder starts with a ".", but iPodLinux doesn't have that catch, so absolutely nothing is hidden to iPodLinux ; P )

If I'm wrong about what I said though, meh. Remember that all this is just unstable testing releases with no guarantee. Theres tons of changes on my local copies, but I won't be doing any testing releases for a while til its all fool-proof and I have time.

~Keripo

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
AmbiquitY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Release Notes, Note for MPD section wrote:

- If you instead want to load music from your iTunes
library, open the "ZeroSlackr/MPD/Conf/mpd.conf" file
with a text editor and change "/mnt/Music" to
"/mnt/iPod_Control". - If you have a large music database,
MPD will seem to "freeze" ZeroLauncher during initiation;
note that MPD is just building its database in the
background and ZeroLauncher is actually not frozen

Guess i missed that part Embarassed Sorry

Jump to: