Linux On iPod Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Podzilla 0 and Podzilla 2 Compiling Environment for Slax View next topic
View previous topic
Keripo
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a release of development tools. A tutorial on how to use them and compile PZ0 and PZ2 can be found > here <.
These Slax modules are NOT podzilla 2 modules! If you do not know how to use these files, do NOT ask about them!

==========================================================================================
==========================================================================================

iPodLinux PZ0 and PZ2 Compiling Environment for Slax

This is the release of podzilla 0 and podzilla 2 compiling libraries packaged as Slax modules. They were created on Slax 5.1.8.1 (KillBill) and can be treated as ordinary Slax modules. The "Compiling Environment" can be uselivemod'd, but the "Toolchain" modules may be too big. For the clueless, Slax is a live Linux distro that can be run from CD, USB or hard-drive - if you're new to Slax (or Linux or live-CDs), check it out first before even downloading these modules). [Note: Not compatible with Slax 6]

The "iPL_Compiling_Environment" module contains the basic libraries needed to compile both podzilla 0 and podzilla 2 (separately) and may also compile other legacy applications such as iBoy. "iPL_Toolchain_v_2_95_3" is for PZ0 and legacy applications. "iPL_Toolchain_v_3_4_3" is for PZ2. If you plan on compiling only one of them, download only the corresponding toolchain (you do not need both). One-click compiling scripts as well as sample source files are also included. Files and folders are structured for ease-of-use and the entire package is generally user-friendly. Apart from the dependency of the development module, everything basically runs right out of the box. Basic knowledge/experience in compiling, however, is highly recommended. A start-from-scratch tutorial can be found here.

~Keripo

Ps: This is the first post and release under the handle "Keripo". I will be using this account for releases/updates only (to minimize post-searching) and "Keripo Test Account" for other stuff (ie. answering questions, helping out, rambling, etc.). Both accounts are still the same person. This account was also registered and made its first post on my birthday (July 25) ; )

Downloads:

iPL-Dev Modules:

iPL_Compiling_Environment_v_1_1.mo, iPL_Toolchain_v_2_95_3.mo and iPL_Toolchain_v_3_4_3.mo :

>> Main Download Folder <<
>> Box.net Mirror <<

Note: Both toolchains have been split into 10 mb chunks; use 7-zip or any standard archiver to merge them.

Mirrors:

iPL_Compiling_Environment_v_1_1.mo - For Both:
(SendSpace, Fr-e-e-Webs)
iPL_Toolchain_v_2_95_3.mo - For PZ0:
(SendSpace, SendSpace2, Fr-e-e-Webs)
iPL_Toolchain_v_3_4_3.mo - For PZ2:
(SendSpace, SendSpace2, No FreeWebs link - no space ; /)

Note: SendSpace links are the same as SendSpace2 links, just renamed for convention/consistency, Fr-e-e-Webs links are TinyURL'd to circumvent spam filter. If you are willing to help me host these files, please just post. The (huge) toolchain files are stable will need to ever be updated, so a stable download location would be nice ; )

Dependencies:

Latest Slax 5 ISO (KillBill recommended)
Official Development Module

Optional:

Subversion/SVN (Slax Module - Untested)
Build/Extract Slax Module (Slax Module)
MySlax Creator (Windows Only Application)

[ See next post for rest of resources n wiki pages ]

Updates:
July 29: Finished n cleaned up this post, uploaded files in various locations.
July 30: Fixed a dumb folder problem. Shortcut should show up on desktop now.
July 31: Added a permanent mirror, thanks to Waldo. Also, need to remind myself to login first and stop accidentally clicking "quote" instead of "edit" ; )
August 2: Created a (looooong) newbie friendly tutorial on compiling podzilla 0 and podzilla 2 using these modules.

Me = Keripo, Keripo Test Account = Me
010/001/111

Last edited by Keripo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:16 pm; edited 19 times in total
I_U_3_4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

willing to test with pz0...how do you do the modules with pz0 though? (sorry...)

Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

^ Edited first post: see bolded red text at top.

v Continued from first post

Resources:

Old Podzilla 2 Compiling Tutorial via Cygwin (Old Windows Tutorial)
Booting Slax from Hard-Drive; No CD/USB/Installation/Partitoning (Tutorial, Windows Only) (Source)
Customizing/Adding Modules to Slax Manually (Documentation)

Wiki Pages: (Mostly outdated)

Building Podzilla (legacy)
Setting up MPD
MikModPodzilla (dead wiki page)
Mikmod Libraries (dead link)
Building Podzilla
CVS/SVN
Toolchains
(for more podzilla 2 resources, see my old Cygwin thread

Quick Thanks:

mundi (mundo) - massive PZ0 compiling support
michael (Michael) - general PZ2 help
Rufus? (Rufus) - SVN source and support
Ari (AriX) - general awsomeness ^_^ (and help of course)
Brandon (Waldo) - lending me his 30gb iPod video "voluntarily" Rolling Eyes Also for lending me some hosting space (main download) ; )
iPL Dev Team - Where art thou???

Last edited by Keripo Test Account on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Rufus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very cool, I'll try this on my notebook tonight.

Edit: Do you happen to have a local copy of SVN, and if so, would you be able to upload that too?

Edit 2: Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Rufus on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
I_U_3_4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oh. Embarassed sorry. misunderstood.

Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rufus wrote:
Edit: Do you happen to have a local copy of SVN, and if so, would you be able to upload that too?

I was using your copy from July 4th ; )

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
nmradar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I tested out the podzilla 2 binary on my 80GB 5.5g. I just renamed the downloaded binary "podzilla", and placed it in my bin folder (replacing the old "podzilla"), and made it executable.

Here's the error I got:

Code:

BINFMT_FLAT: Loading file: /etc/rc
Fatal signal 7
Trying to gather debug info. If this freees, reboot.

Saved: podzilla.oops
Letting original sig go - expect crash
Unhandled fault: external abort on linefetch (F4) at 0x00000001
fault-common.c(97): start_code-0xe00040, start_stacks=oxfffff6c)
No more tasks for init -- sleeping forever

Also, here are the contents of a file that showed up, called podzilla.oops

Code:

FP = 0xfffc64
#0  00e4c4a0 <ttk_load_font+c4> from <core>
  e4c494:   ba000006   ???
#1  00e3aac0 <ttk_get_fontinfo+11c> from <core>
  e3aabc:   eb004646   bl   f=4646  o=11918  a=00e4c3dc <ttk_load_font+0> from <core>
#2  00e3ab70 <ttk_get_font+10> from <core>
  e3ab6c:   ebffff8c   bl   f=ffff8c  o=fffffe30  a=00e3a9a4 <ttk_get_fontinfo+0> from <core>
#3  00e0da8c <pz_load_font+70> from <core>
  e0da88:   eb00b434   bl   f=b434  o=2d0d0  a=00e3ab60 <ttk_get_font+0> from <core>
#4  00e012b0 <main+248> from <core>
  e012ac:   eb0031da   bl   f=31da  o=c768  a=00e0da1c <pz_load_font+0> from <core>
#5  00e14014 <__uClibc_start_main+9c> from <core>
  e14010:   ebffb414   bl   f=ffb414  o=fffed050  a=00e01068 <main+0> from <core>
#6  00e1404c <__uClibc_main+20> from <core>
  e14048:   ebffffca   bl   f=ffffca  o=ffffff28  a=00e13f78 <__uClibc_start_main+0> from <core>
#7  00e00158 <_start+14> from <core>
  e00154:   eb004fb4   bl   f=4fb4  o=13ed0  a=00e1402c <__uClibc_main+0> from <core>
#8  00000000 <ABS+0> from <core>
fffffffc:   00000000   ???
#9  00000000 <ABS+0> from <core>
fffffffc:   00000000   ???

Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright, got a hold of my friend's 30gb iPod video and was able to test a few things. Turns out that even though things compiled without error, ttk (the ipod-sdl and probably ipod-hotdog) build was incomplete. (Oddly enough, instead of said errors during boot up, iPL just froze for me when executing etc/rc). Since compiling things properly on Linux would probably involve installing SDL and SDL image packages (there aren't pre-converted Slax modules for em and I'm too lazy to do it myself), I just copied over the compiled .a files from my Cygwin build and viola, it worked! ; )

Both compiled files (PZ0 and PZ2) have been tested on the 30gb iPod video and work. PZ0 is extremely slow for the video (since iPod video support isn't being worked on anymore) so I haven't tested everything out. It should work perfectly on the nano, however, as it uses the same files I once used to compile the old ZeroLauncher (things have just been cleaned up a bit). For podzilla 2, I noticed that the clicker miraculously works (it didn't in the past for the nano). Modules loaded correctly it seems, but setting saving doesn't seem to work for some reason (probably cause I don't remember how to).

Either way, here are the new modules. I've updated both ttk libraries (sdl and hotdog) and swapped a few PZ2 modules as well as a few minor changes to the scripts. I also added in all the License/Copying files that I omitted when stripping things down and merged both the PZ0 and PZ2 libraries into one module. I'm uploading the files on both SendSpace and the wiki. The wiki files are in .gz format but not compressed (just stored). The toolchain modules are the same, just renamed for anesthetics ; )

(See first post for download links)

~Keripo

Edit: It seems the files are too big for the wiki. Anyone willing to donate some stable upload space? ; /

Me = Keripo, Keripo Test Account = Me
010/001/111

Last edited by Keripo on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
conorkirk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Send them off to me, [email protected]

Depends on the size Very Happy

Send em anyway.
Rufus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Box (if less than 10 MB each...)

Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uploaded completed files on SendSpace, Fr-e-e-Webs, and Box.net (thanks Rufus!). See updated (and complete) first post for details.

Now to write up a tutorial for usage ; )

~Keripo

Ps. Got to stop accidentally quoting my other self ; P
Pss. @ conorkirk, the main module is 3.8 mb, the PZ0 toolchain is 17.5 mb, and the PZ2 toolchain is 32.1 mb. All .mo are already compressed when being converter to modules, so thats the smallest they'll get (without using crazy stuff like paq8l). Total of about 55 mb. If you are willing to host all the files (or at least just the main "iPL_Compiling_Environment_v_1_0.mo" file), download them from any of the mirrors and post links, thanks Wink

Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After two long days of restraining myself from StepMania and Melty Blood, I finally finished up writing one @#$%n long compiling-for-newbies tutorial that uses these modules. It also meant that Keripo's spam rating went skyrocketing ; / Here's the link:

http://ipodlinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27035

Hopefully things'll start up again Wink
(or we'll be swamped by the masses of brainless newbies again O_o).

~Keripo

Ps. Also got permanent hosting thanks to me friend Waldo (yeah, I'm sure he's enjoying his old-school CD player more than he did with his iPod Wink)

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic