Linux On iPod Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Project ZeroSlackr - Stable Snapshot 2008-04-28 View next topic
View previous topic
zowki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ChronoXP wrote:
i got error... trying to install this version.

and it says pause press any key to continue and then it deletes all the files (not folders) in the directory.

Link to screenshot.

Image removed, it's far too large to be embedded in this page, particularly the first page of a topic that will be very popular. -- Rufus

Hey you have the same name as me (And same ipod as me)! I'm also Shaun, nice to meet you!

Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The ZeroSlackr snapshot has been updated. Includes a bunch of fixes, updates and a bit of extra content. No need to explain anything here - just read the documentations (which I have made well-detailed).

The SourceForge project has been re-ordered a bit and a CIA.vc tracker has been added. I am currently in the process of syncing the ZeroSlackr SVN but I've also uploaded the entire source code to SourceForge as well. Everything in the source code is well organized and compiling is easily comprehensive (e.g. just execute a "build.sh" script and watch it run). All packs have been build from ground up (e.g. from originals via patches) and thus updating for me is extremely easy.

I've started working on emulator packs and will have numerous packs for testing soon (already have TimeWalk, CmdLine-Tools, iPodMAME and ScummVM done and in the process of testing, iDarcNES, iGameGear and igpSP in queue). Other than that, enjoy the pre-release!

~Keripo

Ps. The avatar is one I made with a screen cap from GunBuster 2's ED Wink

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
zowki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Keripo Test Account wrote:
The ZeroSlackr snapshot has been updated. Includes a bunch of fixes, updates and a bit of extra content. No need to explain anything here - just read the documentations (which I have made well-detailed).

The SourceForge project has been re-ordered a bit and a CIA.vc tracker has been added. I am currently in the process of syncing the ZeroSlackr SVN but I've also uploaded the entire source code to SourceForge as well. Everything in the source code is well organized and compiling is easily comprehensive (e.g. just execute a "build.sh" script and watch it run). All packs have been build from ground up (e.g. from originals via patches) and thus updating for me is extremely easy.

I've started working on emulator packs and will have numerous packs for testing soon (already have TimeWalk, CmdLine-Tools, iPodMAME and ScummVM done and in the process of testing, iDarcNES, iGameGear and igpSP in queue). Other than that, enjoy the pre-release!

~Keripo

Ps. The avatar is one I made with a screen cap from GunBuster 2's ED Wink

Ok, I'll try this out, I cant wait for the release with TimeWalk in it! What is CmdLine-Tools anyways?

parasyte

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Keripo,

wanted to congratulate you on a great release! Very Happy

I heard that this can install onto 5.5G's, is this true? If so you are my saviour XD

Sorry if this was already stated somewhere, :S

thanks

EDIT: ok, want to put all the questions that are on my mind at the moment here, if any of you could help me it would be extemely appreciated.

1. Does it support 5.5G ipods?

2. Once installed, is it pretty much exactly the same as an ipodlinux ipod? What's different?

3. Im kinda asking the above question as i want to install rockbox onto it too, and i just wanted to make sure you could use the same method as if youve installed ipodlinux normally?

Thanks again for any help Very Happy
zowki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

parasyte wrote:
Hi Keripo,
1. Does it support 5.5G ipods?

Yes

parasyte wrote:
2. Once installed, is it pretty much exactly the same as an ipodlinux ipod? What's different?

Well kind of, it just installs zerolauncher as a default zilla that lets you launch stuff. Thats just like asking is Ubuntu pretty much exactly the same as a linux distro.

parasyte wrote:
3. Im kinda asking the above question as i want to install rockbox onto it too, and i just wanted to make sure you could use the same method as if youve installed ipodlinux normally?

Yes

Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

zowki wrote:
parasyte wrote:

Yes

The installation instructions specifically tells you how to install Rockbox. Apart from extracting a nightly build to your iPod, you also have to edit the /boot/loader.cfg file.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
skijunkiedtm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

how would i go about uninstalling this? just delete the files off my ipod or what?
hipnotoad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

just delete the files pertaining to zeroslackr off of your ipod's root.
skijunkiedtm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hipnotoad wrote:
just delete the files pertaining to zeroslackr off of your ipod's root.
thank you
skijunkiedtm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

now how do i get rid of the boot loader? i want EVERYTHING off except for my original ipod stuff
Dr.Moo!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

skijunkiedtm wrote:
now how do i get rid of the boot loader? i want EVERYTHING off except for my original ipod stuff

In that case do a Restore through iTunes.

Silver 1G 4GB Mini PZ2 w/ Basic Moduels And Alt BG From
Rufus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dr.Moo! wrote:
skijunkiedtm wrote:

No... Because that would get rid of everything.

Run ipodpatcher, and when asked what you want to do, select Uninstall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rufus wrote:
Dr.Moo! wrote:
skijunkiedtm wrote:

It would do everything he wants, with a little extra setup. Plus you never know what might be laying around if you don't.

Silver 1G 4GB Mini PZ2 w/ Basic Moduels And Alt BG From
Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dr.Moo! wrote:
Rufus wrote:
Dr.Moo! wrote:
skijunkiedtm wrote:

It would do everything he wants, with a little extra setup. Plus you never know what might be laying around if you don't.

...by "what might be laying around" you mean nothing but a few files???

The "installation" of ZeroSlackr is really just 1) patching the bootloader via ipodpatcher, and 2) copying over files. To "uninstall" is really just removing the bootloader (preferrably via ipodpatcher though iTunes' restore will also do that), then deleting a few folders (specifically the "bin", "boot", "dev", "etc", and "ZeroSlackr" folders). Thats all.

On a side note, I'm in the process of writing a compiling tutorial on the wiki, which can be found here: Introduction to Compiling for iPodLinux. The page has a section for compiling things in Project ZeroSlackr from SVN, which currently has a few packs that aren't in the 2008-03-21 snapshot (e.g. TimeWalk, SBaGen, iDarcNES, iPodMAME and a few others). If you're adventurous, go ahead and compile them yourselves Wink

~Keripo

annoying1359

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very pretty, this is amazing. Very easy to install, too. However, I get an "Can't write to /dev/tty5!" error whenever, I load this or reboot my iPod from its menu. Good job!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic