Linux On iPod Forum Index
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 ZillaZero [Old, see ZeroNet!] View next topic
View previous topic
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I also get that.. Which is Blooming annoying, as it worked last night first time, and i did something by mistake.. Any updates?
HeelyJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I have it all working...

I just used the regular installer and put the files in the root. I mean all the ones in your ZZ Installer folder that aren't associated with the installer. Its working good for me; I have rockbox and all the games/other crap.
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HEELY Any chance you could give detailed instructions on what you did? Much appreciated Laughing
HeelyJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah just give me a few minutes. I gotta do it all over again anyway; iTunes is being pissy and won't put my songs on. (I'm hoping that that is unrelated.)
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok Thanks ALot Smile Thanks In Advance!

Cool Cool
Keripo Test Account
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Alrighty, heres the answers to all your questions.

=====

fredrik wrote:
Everything works great until 44% when this popup shows.
Anyone knows how to ''fix'' it?

I'm guessing thats due to bad programming in part by the programmer of Installer 2, caused by the extra round brackets in the folder (next version, I'll change the name of the folder to just include normal letters). For now, just a) make sure all files are there, and b) change the folder name to something simple, like "ZZInstaller".

For the sys info problem, thats a common problem I keep getting with Installer 2. I'm not 100% sure why that happens (I'm guessing something to do with previous iPodLinux installation attempts), but until they solve it [if they do, please post ; ) ], I suggest you reformat with the HP formatter I stuck in there, download an updated iPod Updater and restore (don't use the very newest one though - go to Download.com and search for a good, stable updater version), connect up iTunes and stick one or two songs there temporarily, disconnect and plug in again back as Apple OS, and then run the installer. The very latest installer I uploaded in the post (.rar ]here, not from the main page which I need to update) worked perfectly (for once!) on its first try after I wiped my iPod and all, so I know for sure this version works.

For the continual rebooting and kernel, also my bad. I messed up a bit with the loader thingy and decided to rebuild the installer, thus 1.3.2 version. The kernel problem I noticed after I posted, so I reuploaded with a fixed version. Thats why I added an extra "ps." to my last post before these two. And the kernel I included does work, so its safer to just keep that one and not update it.

For the Podzilla2 thingies, it was my mistake. When I built the tar.gz in Slax, I added the extra lines "ln -s /mnt/Podzilla2/lib /usr/lib" and "ln -s /mnt/Podzilla2/share /usr/share" to symlink the modules and schemes from the accessable Fat32 root, where accessing on Windows is much easier, as is addin/removing modules and schemes, as I don't know how to make a soft symlink of a folder in Slax (its possible as I see /sbin symlinked, but I don't know how to make one). I made two mistakes there. First, when I copied over the lib and share folders from another folder on my harddrive to the "_root" folder in the Installer folder, I was rushing and forgot to create a folder named "Podzilla2" and put the lib and share folders in it. My second mistake was that I symlinked to /usr/lib and /usr/share instead of just /usr like I was suppose to. The result, after I manually made a folder named Podzilla2 and moved over both folders, is that all the modules are in /usr/lib/lib (which really doesn't matter as, shown in the modules organization sys I tried, Podzilla 2 looks for all .o files n /usr/lib/lib no matter what the folder name is) and all the scheme and font files are in /usr/share/share (which, unlike for modules, the location of the scheme and font files does matter). One problem, however, is that after one restart with the bad rc file, you can't change it manually, so no schemes but yes modules. The rc file needs those two lines changed to symlink to just /usr.

For the having schemes and basic fonts, those are the ones that are included in the userland. For Podzilla 2, when there are no schemes detected, the Apple OS scheme (familiar.cs) is used as default, and when there is no familiar.cs, an empty but viewable scheme is used that also creates an echo effect when switching menus.

=====

Right now, I'm away from home for the week (I'm at camp and I haven't been able to get computer access for quite a long time). I'll be back and probably quickly uploading a new version on Sunday, but until then, if someone with Linux access could make the fixes and upload a new zip [changes being; move the lib and share files in the _root folder to _root/Podzilla2, change the name of the installer folder to "ZillaZeroInstaller 1.3.3 Networkless", and finally, open up the ZillaZeroSys.tar.gz in Linux, edit the rc file so that its "ln -s /mnt/Podzilla2/lib /usr" and "ln -s /mnt/Podzilla2/share /usr", then make sure its executable and then re-tar it (for Slax, Ark worked well)], that would be awsome. As for after this, if this all works and is bug free, in the end I won't be keeping it updated though. So, as a last modification, I'll add complete MPD support and move over a lot of modules to another folder so that they don't get read - letting Podzilla 2 startup with enough memory for MPD - unless you manually move em, and maybe make a specially built BleuLlauncher with working iDoom and iBoy shortcuts - if I have time and Ari's willin to compile ; ). If there's any modules you really want to keep and are to lazy to move em yourself, or you have any simple changes you want to be made, call em out and I'll do what I can Wink

~Keripo

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im giong to give that ago. Before I add the _root files, there is nothing in the iPod drive itself : F\ its all empty..
HeelyJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your giving what a go? And if there is nothing there then you should run the iPod updater again and restore.
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I did it off a clean install -> installed the official Loader2, now im adding the _root files to the iPod manually ( F\ ) yet theres nothing in there to begin with.. lets hope eh
HeelyJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That sounds bad... but good luck.
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HELL YEAH!!! IT WORKED!!! IPL AND ROCKBOX with the usual OS! Omfg this ownes, Thanks Heely!!!
HeelyJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks. Now just make sure iTunes can put songs on there.

I guess I'll put what I did back up...
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's too late for me now, so im gunna play with it, and test itunes tomorrow. I guess im YOUR first tester xD
HeelyJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Read Keripo's above post before doing any of this. I don't recommend doing this unless you plan to do it all over again when Keripo (Or someone) fixes the bugs. Hell, I'm not even sure it works right. I am simply posting what I did.

I don't know if it is just mine, but I can NOT put songs onto the iPod after doing this.

Just be warned that this is not the whole thing. I got the triple boot on there, but it looks like there is some more stuff if you can get the actual installer working. Keripo said he would get a new version out when he got home... so I dunno if you wanna do this or not.

Anyway, here goes.

First, download the ZillaZero Installer and the iDoom expansion pack Keripo's site, and extract them to TWO seperate empty folders.

1. Use the HP formatter.
2. Run the iPod update.
3. Run the REGULAR iPod Linux Installer and select iPod Loader 2
(The one off the ipl site)
4. Copy all the iDoom expansion stuff into your iPod root (Just the files not the folder)
5. Copy the _root files into the iPod root. (Just the files not the folder)

It might work after that. But remember, this is not Keripo's stuff, they said they would fix the installer soon, so I dunno if you wanna do this or not. I'll delete this once Keripo gets his updates done in a week ish.
redfoxevan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it worked for me, I don't see why it wont work for anyone else.. Apart from iBoy and Atari Jobby doesn't work in linux or rock..

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic